HONORING YESTERDAY, CELEBRATING TOMORROW
1945 – THE BEGINNING
The First Baptist Church of Hendersonville first assembled in the home of Mrs. J. H. Stephens in June 1944. Regular Sunday School meetings were held at First Presbyterian Church of Hendersonville. In 1945 the church purchased property on Gallatin Road near Imperial Boulevard. The first church building was erected on this property in 1947.
Previous pastors include Eugene Roberts, James Austin, Terry Davis.
1957 – COURTNEY WILSON BECOMES PASTOR
Brother Wilson served faithfully as pastor of First Baptist Church for 28 years. During this time, the church grew in membership from 300 to 3,533, and four major building phases were completed. He retired in 1985.
1987 – DR. GLENN WEEKLEY JOINS THE FBC FAMILY
Brother Glenn Weekley preached his first sermon the morning of June 14, 1987 and began his ministry here on July 12, 1987. During his time as pastor, Brother Glen led the charge on making First Baptist the church we see today.
1990 – CONSTRUCTION BEGINS ON NEW BUILDING
A gift of 25 acres of land off Gallatin Road between Bluegrass Drive and Music Village was given to the church. A vote was taken to relocate, leaving the property that had been home to First Baptist Church for 42 years. Ground was broken at Bluegrass Commons on January 28, 1990 and construction began in April 1990.
1991 – Walk to the new Building
On July 14, 1991 the congregation walked all the way down Gallatin Rd. from the old FBCH building to the new to worship God, and celebrate His provision. There were over 3,000 in attendance.
1994 – 50 Year Celebration
In September, 1994 the congregation celebrated and gave thanks to God for First Baptist Church’s first 50 years.
1998 – Weekly Building Completed
In January 1998 the first two floors of the Weekley Education Building were completed, and in March 2001 the third floor was completed.
2002 – Chapel Built
The 500-seat Chapel was completed in February 2002.
2003 – BABB Counseling Center
In May 2003 the Smith Travel Research Building at 105 Music Village Boulevard adjacent to our campus was purchased and is now home to the First Baptist Church Counseling Center, The BABBCenter. A Preschool Building addition was completed in May 2005.
2005 – Plans approved for Family Ministry Center
Our Deacons unanimously approved the plans for a Family Ministry Center on January 10, 2005. The church voted and approved the plans for the Family Ministries Center on Sunday, April 10, 2005, and groundbreaking was held on March 19, 2006. The Family Ministry Center opened on October 15, 2007.
2007 – BROTHER GLENN CELEBRATES 20 YEARS
In July 2007 Dr. Weekley celebrated 20 years as pastor of First Baptist Church.
He served as pastor of First Baptist until he passed away on September 11, 2007. Over the course of Dr. Weekley’s ministry, First Baptist grew from a membership of 2,700 to more than 8,900.
2009 – DR. CHESSER JOINS THE FBC FAMILY
Dr. Bruce G. Chesser preached his first sermon the morning of July 19, 2009 and began his ministry here on August 16, 2009. He has been serving faithfully ever since and continues to move this church forward and lead members to the Lord.